In the Rural Alternative Schools (Escuela Rural Alternativa or ERA in Spanish) ex-combatants develop work and personal skills to implement productive projects, generate income for themselves and achieve food sovereignty in their communities.
- Provide practical and theoretical education in sustainable agricultural activities to train people in reincorporation process to become social change agents.
- Promote and modernize production techniques of vegetable and animal production adapted to the territory, for self-consumption and commercialization.
- Generate skills to manage local resources in a sustainable way to improve the quality of life.
- Contribute to the economic sustainability of the members of the rural schools through a land fund and a machinery fund.
The learning method it’s based on the following premises about participants:
- They have their own knowledge and abilities.
- They are citizens worthy of respect.
- They have their own interests and expectations.
- They are dynamic and participate in their own training as social transformers.
Phases and Activities
Phase 1 | Economic reincorporation promoting productivity, added value and markets:
- Recognition of the territory, socio-cultural context and characterization of the participants
- Implementation of relevant Productive Pedagogic Projects (PPPs)
- Stablishing innovative agricultural manufacturing processes with added value for commercialization.
- Opening alternative markets for organic and single origin products.
Phase 2 | Sustainable life projects:
- Building sustainable life projects that guarantee adequate living standards, supported with land and machinery funds.
There are currently 3 ERAs in the first stages of implementation in the reincorporation zones of Miranda and La Elvira in the department of Cauca, and Llano Grande in the department of Antioquia. There are other two under study in Los Monos in Cauca and Ituango in Antioquia.
- VAMOS MUJER
- UNITED NATIONS
- CARVAJAL FOUNDATION
- THE ART OF LIVING
- JAVERIANA UNIVERSITY
- RESTREPO BARCO FOUNDATION
- CAUCA COFFEE COMMITTEE
- MUNICIPALITY OF DABEIBA
- ERA’S NEARBY COMMUNITIES
- HUMAN SCIENCES FACULTY OF THE ANTIOQUIA UNIVERSITY
- AGRICULTURAL SCIENCES FACULTY OF THE ANTIOQUIA UNIVERSITY
- OFFICE OF THE HIGH COMMISSIONES FOR PEACE